Association of World Citizens Hong Kong China
Mission: Enhance Human Rights of Mainly Transgender People in Hong Kong.
Beneficiaries: Youth, Women, Elderly, Mentally and Emotionally Disabled/ Challenged, Other Marginalized (e.g. LGBTQ+, Former drug abusers, Ex-offenders, etc).
• We need an operating site, one full-time staff, and basic equipment for efficient operations. We have to look for space for all activities that we host.
• We need additional funds to run activities that are deferred due to COVID-19. Examples are non-refundable deposits paid to acquire space for our activities, additional storage costs for items that were bought but activities deferred, etc.
• We need to ease our cashflows and repay our debts as some of our grants or income have been cancelled or delayed due to deferral of these activities.
• Some of the basic equipment we need could be received in-kind if donors are available.
• Referrals to generate income like corporate screenings of our movies, consultations to corporates to build trans-friendly workplaces, etc.
Top 3 challenges:
• Difficulties to source funds to support a marginalized group of people in a very conservative social environment.
• Difficulties to source operating funds to support an official operating site with full-time staff and basic equipment.
• Difficulties to source funds to assist our members to fight for their equalities.
Impact on beneficiaries:
Our empowerment programs offered the skills to our members to live a better life and also peer support to improve their mental health. Our education programs penetrated different layers of society to understand transgender people thereby driving acceptance and reduce discrimination.