Box of Hope
Mission: Children helping children – taking a gift, educational tools and hygiene items from Hong Kong school children to underprivileged children in Hong Kong and Asia who may have never received a gift. We teach Hong Kong school children the concept of poverty in an easily understandable way, through the simple act of packing a box of gifts and essential items for a child who doesn’t have what they have.
Beneficiaries: Infants and Children, Youth, Physically Disabled/ Challenged, Mentally and Emotionally Disabled/ Challenged, Families and Community, Impoverished, Children with special education needs.
• Funding for staff: we would like a part-time or full-time paid member of staff who runs the everyday operations and logistics of Box of Hope. This charity is growing year on year and is a full-time job to run. This is currently done on a voluntary basis which is unsustainable. In addition, we would need some shared office space for this individual.
• We need funding for specialist jobs which are needed for the everyday running and growth of the charity, for example, an accountant, company secretary, media and PR.
• We have an old database which is operational but very difficult to use to generate the information we need. In order to generate good, useful data which we can use year on year we need a new enhanced database which is suitable for the 35,000 boxes which we collect each year.
• In order to grow Box of Hope, we want to measure the impact that it has in a more targeted way using an effective monitoring and evaluation system. We need some professional help in order to achieve this.
• Transporting our boxes across Hong Kong and South East Asia is our main cost each year. With more and more boxes this cost continues to grow. We would like monetary support with this.
Top 3 challenges:
• Our charity is growing rapidly, we are struggling to grow our governance and sustainability at the same rate, this is something we’re working hard during 2020 we are unsure what impact COVID-19 will have, it may be difficult to distribute boxes outside of Hong Kong.
• We would like to professionalize our charity, generate and use data that we produce each year, develop some key targets, and monitoring and evaluation. In order to do this well, we’d like a paid member of staff.
Impact on beneficiaries:
We bring a little joy to vulnerable children in Hong Kong and southeast Asia. Many of these children are thrilled to receive a small gift and something which they can take ownership of. It has a wider impact on their families, community, and schooling. There is also a significant impact on the children who are giving. They become more aware of the world around them and give to others.
For more infos
What type of NGO are you interested in?