Chatteris Educational Foundation
Mission: To raise the English proficiency and self-confidence of Hong Kong’s young people, particularly the less privileged, through dynamic interaction with English-speaking university graduates working in creative partnership with schools.
Beneficiaries: Infants and Children, Youth, Children with special education needs, Impoverished Formal Non-Commercial Organization (e.g., Non-Profit, School, Foundation, Trade Association, Union, etc.), Social enterprises and other non-governmental organizations.
• Our student beneficiaries have faced unique and unprecedented challenges this year and we are very worried about their future prospects in their education and career, and also their mental wellbeing. These challenges are likely to continue into the next year and, as always, students from less privileged backgrounds have suffered the most. Aside from our own challenges as an organization, we are always seeking new funding opportunities to benefit students in Hong Kong and would be keen to discuss with funders how they can help schools and students across the region.
• Technical support from specialists experienced in developing online resources, websites, and software. We plan to develop our organizational capacity and ensure our services are available online for our beneficiaries in light of the potential for future school closures due to COVID-19 and the social unrest.
• Seed funding to help start projects and programs that we postponed or cancelled as a result of COVID-19. This includes developing an online learning platform that students can access from home if school closures continue into the next academic year.
• Support from marketing specialists who can advise us on the best way to reach potential funders, donors, and staff in the upcoming year.
• Support on developing our organizational structures and capacity in light of the “new normal” remote learning and work environments.
Top 3 challenges:
• Training our team to ensure that they have the digital skills and tools available to lead English lessons and activities online.
• Financially, we have not reduced any staff salaries or made anyone redundant. However, the cost of this will greatly impact the scope and content of services we can offer next year.
• Marketing and promoting our organisation to potential Chatteris Tutors (who come from across the world) and potential partner schools in Hong Kong, all of whom may have financial concerns of their own and may be reluctant to pursue new developments due to COVID-19 and the Hong Kong social unrest.
Impact on beneficiaries:
Chatteris offers students, especially those from less privileged backgrounds, access to interactive and enjoyable English speaking opportunities inside and outside of the classroom. By creating an authentic and engaging English language environment for students, we make them more confident and motivated to use the language, helping them to unlock their future potential in their education and careers.