Habitat for Humanity Hong Kong
With a vision of a world where everyone has a decent place to live, Habitat for Humanity was founded in 1976 in the United States and has since grown into a leading global housing organisation, working in over 70 locations around the world. We have helped more than 39 million people build or improve the place they call home.
Habitat has been serving the local community in Hong Kong since 2004. Our mission is bringing people together to improve housing conditions in Hong Kong and build homes overseas, giving a hand-up to people in need and strengthening communities to be self-reliant and resilient.
One-fifth of the population in Hong Kong lives below the poverty line and nearly 50% of the population lives in some form of public housing.
Our Project Home Works programme fills a critical service and resource gap by providing cleaning, repair, renovation and modification services for vulnerable families, the elderly and people with disabilities living in public rental housing.
We work with local NGOs and social workers to identify families most in need of our services. Volunteers work alongside licensed contractors to renovate walls and ceilings, providing an immediate improvement to the safety and sanitation of these homes.
Beneficiaries: Infants and Children, Women, Elderly, Physically Disabled/ Challenged, Families and Community, Impoverished, Sub-standard housing.
• Develop, Launch and Market a monthly donor campaign. Looking for a volunteer with extensive marketing / digital fundraising experience who can work with the Habitat team to quickly but efficiently develop a robust digital fundraising channel. A deep understanding of individual giving and monthly giving a bonus. English (excellent written) and Cantonese a bonus.
• Develop and deliver a virtual gala in September. We need volunteers with time and connections to help with prize sourcing, program development, marketing and technical logistics.
• Review and Organise Content Management System. We need a volunteer who has a very keen eye for detail and some time and patience to dedicate to reorganizing our digital filing system to help us become more efficient.
• Implement Salesforce. We have the platform but have yet to start using it. We need a volunteer who can both set up the system, streamline the processing and train the team. Someone who has experience of migrating donor date into Salesforce and setting up payment gateways would be a significant bonus.
• Build a team of program Volunteer Leaders. We have double the number of families to serve in half the time we would usually take and we need a team of volunteers who can be trained up to fully support the upcoming program implementation over the next few months. Cantonese speakers particularly welcome to apply to be able to communicate directly with our NGO partners and beneficiaries. English speakers equally welcome to communicate with our volunteers and help us to build our volunteer engagement strategy.
Top 3 challenges:
• Lack of sustained unrestricted funding.
• With the focus on COVID response, we need to serve double the number of homes we usually serve in the year, in half the time.
• The massive restrictions on being able to serve those most in need and deliver our usual programmes (in public housing estates and schools).
Impact on beneficiaries:
In Hong Kong, we provide renovation and cleaning services to elderly people living below the poverty line in public rental housing and elderly homes. Recognising that school is like a second home for children, we partner with local schools in under-served areas to clean and decorate their learning environment.