Soap Cycling Limited
• To research and create lasting and scalable waste solutions for soap and other waste products in the hospitality industry.
• To provide employment and youth empowerment opportunities in local communities.
• To improve sanitation and hygiene of disadvantaged communities by providing soap for free.
Beneficiaries: Youth, Elderly, Ethnic Minorities, Impoverished, Environment.
• Funding: Soap Cycling needs HKD 500,000 to subsidize the one-year salaries and operating expenses
Top 3 challenges:
Soap Cycling's main source of income is from bespoke corporate sessions and CSR events. We have close relationships with hotels because they are the major suppliers of our soap bars and amenity bottles. Since the coronavirus has a great impact on the hospitality industry, hotels are now unable to collaborate with or financially support Soap Cycling. Due to the dramatic economic turndown over the past 10 months, almost all of our paid corporate volunteer sessions have been canceled.
Top 3 challenges we are facing are:
• Financial challenges on maintaining daily operations for upcoming 2021 (insufficient revenue from corporate sessions due to COVID-19 pandemic)
• Inadequate technology to conduct corporate sessions, workshops and business virtually
• Shortage of hygiene supplies
Impact on beneficiaries:
• Environment - provided waste solutions for over 200 hotels from Hong Kong, Korea, Japan and Mainland China by collected over 17,000 kg of lightly used soaps and over 10,000 kg of amenity bottles
• Hygiene - distributed over 1,400 kg and 16,000 kg of soap bars inside and outside Hong Kong respectively; distributed over 1,700 liters of shampoo/ shower gel inside Hong kong
• Empowerment - hired over 32 MEY workers (Minorities/Elderly/Youth) for over 580 hours; trained over 100 student interns in Hong Kong, China and Singapore for over 7,000 hours